To whet your appetite for the Jets' and Giants' 49th annual preseason meeting tonight at MetLife Stadium, here are 11 Jets-oriented trivia questions based strictly on the first 48 games of the summer series between these regional rivals and stadium mates:
**1. What was the date of the first game of any kind between the Jets and Giants?2. Who scored the first points in the summer series?3. Which three Jets received game balls for the victory in that first game?4. Name the first QB not named Namath to throw a touchdown pass for the Jets against the Giants.5. In how many different stadiums have the Jets and Giants played their preseason games?6. Which Jet has scored the most touchdowns in the preseason rivalry?7. Which Jets QB has thrown the most touchdown passes?8. Name the only RB on either team to rush for 100 yards in a preseason game twice.9. Name the three Jets defenders who have returned interceptions for TDs in the series.10. Which Jet accumulated 282 all-purpose yards in one Jets-Giants game?11. Which Jet has scored the most points in the 49 years of the rivalry?
Best Shots from the Series Between the Big Apple Rivals
ANSWERS**1. The teams got it on for the first time on Sunday afternoon, Aug. 17, 1969, in New Haven, CT, for their first meeting, won by the Jets, 37-14. It was the Jets' third game of the preseason and thus their third game since winning Super Bowl III on Jan. 12, 1969.
- WR George Sauer caught a 29-yard touchdown pass from QB Joe Namath for a 7-0 lead midway through the first quarter of the 1969 game.
- Game balls for the Jets' 1969 summer win went to WR Don Maynard, RB Bill Mathis and LB Larry Grantham, three original Titans who played in the Super Bowl triumph and in the first preseason meeting with the Giants.
- Remember Harry Theofiledes? He was the 5'10" QB from Waynesburg U. in western Pennsylvania who played five games for the Redskins in 1968, then signed with the Jets in June 1970. That preseason he replaced Namath late in the Jets-Giants game and hit Sauer with a 31-yard score.
- The preseason rivalry has been waged in four different stadiums. The first seven games were played at Yale Bowl. The 1976 meeting was a Jets home game at Yankee Stadium. From 1977-2009, the games were all played at Giants Stadium. Since 2010, they've have been played at MetLife Stadium. (But in '10 the naming rights hadn't been sold and the new stadium was called New Meadowlands Stadium.)
- Jerome Barkum has the most touchdowns as well as most receiving touchdowns for the Jets with seven TD receptions from 1973-78. He lined up at WR through '76, then switched to TE for the last two games.
- You might think it was Namath, who threw for eight TDs from 1969-76. But Richard Todd, who followed Broadway Joe, passed for nine TDs from 1977-81.
- Curtis Martin rushed for 127 yards on seven carries with an 80-yard TD run in 1999, then followed that up with 107 yards on 18 carries in the 2000 game.
- Antonio Cromartie (2015), Darrol Ray (1982) and Donald Dykes (1981) have returned interceptions for Jets scores.
- Bruce Harper, then the second-year man from Englewood, NJ, and Kutztown State, racked up the 282 yards (35 rushing, 15 receiving, 79 on punt returns, 153 on kickoff returns) in the 1978 game.
- It has to be K Pat Leahy. The Jets' all-time scoring leader in regular-season games, Leahy also leads the Jets in the summer against the Giants with 87 points on 18 field goals and 33 extra points.