• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

Rain Doesn't Dampen Rex's, Jets' Spirits

Posted Jul 23, 2014

Team Arrives in Cortland for Training Camp in Great Shape and with a Great Attitude

It wasn't the most optimistic of weather to greet the Jets in Cortland this afternoon. A thick band of thunderstorms rumbled through Central New York, raining on the Green & White parade of veterans in cars and rookies in team buses on their way up Route 81.

But the weather hardly put a damper on Rex Ryan.

"I think it's a great omen," the Jets head coach said. "I feel great about this team. Wins and losses, we're going to find out, but I'm certainly not afraid of that. But I feel incredible about this team."

One reason for that was that Rex's team almost literally came running out of the gate. The coach praised his team for their showings in this morning's conditioning run before the caravan left the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

"I challenged our guys," he said about his last message to them at the end of last month's full-squad minicamp. "I said, 'Two things are going to happen. Either you're going to get better or you're going to get worse in this next month before you head to camp." That's 100 percent on the players.

"And every one of them came back in phenomenal shape, so it's hard not to get excited."

Rex included RB Chris Johnson among others in that mix. Johnson had been sidelined all offseason since being signed as a free agent but he came to Florham Park and did his speed thing.

"I'm not sure how everybody came out of the run today," Ryan said, "but he was flying."

"I'm good to go and do everything," the man once and still known as CJ2K said in between the late afternoon raindrops. "I went down to Dr. [James] Andrews and he cleared me. And after that, the little break we had, I've just been really working on everything, cutting drills and conditioning and stuff like that."

Everyone is feeling what Ryan is feeling, and they're feeling it not just on their side of the ball but across the trenches.

"We're optimistic," Johnson said. "We know how hard we worked this offseason. It's just not the offense, it's how the defensive guys are working and how we're working and the type of OTAs we had and minicamp. We know we're a pretty good team, but we know we've still got to take one step at a time."

READ: Jets Agree to Terms with LB Jason Babin
READ: Jets' Trip to Cortland 'Nice Change of Scenery'
WATCH: Inside Access on Report Day 2014
WATCH: Michael Vick: 'We are Living the Dream'
WATCH: John Idzik: 'Now We Start to Hit'

"Definitely I'm ready to get things rolling," said DE Muhammad Wilkerson. "I wish we could put on the pads tomorrow, but the rules are you've got to wait. But I'm looking forward to busting my tail, I'm pretty sure my teammates are, too. We want to get things going, get back to playing Jets football."

That, of course, is a Rex mantra. It's about backing up your words with your play on the field.

"I think everybody knows Rex likes to talk," Wilkerson said. "But he's kind of cut back on that. At the end of the day, that's our head coach. We've got to back him up and go out there and prove why he's a confident coach."

"I think what's different than the past this year is that I'm not going to be the only voice," Ryan said. "The way these guys have responded to each other, there's a lot of accountability with each other. You see it, you sense it with some players, whether it's the older, veteran players or maybe even the younger players. They all accept it. We all know what we want from this football team.

"Again, the message is clear. And I think we sent a message today with the kind of shape we're in."

And the weather report for the next week? Sunny days are here again in Cortland, of course.