After a week of camp, the Jets went full go for the first time Thursday with goal line drills. All snaps occurred from the 2-yard-line or closer. Here is how the action unfolded as we saw it.
1. Hello from The Hitman: As the first units opened up against each other, the offense went to a two-back set. Tight end
2. Ivory Power: The Jets interior got a good push and power runner
3. Geno TD Nullified: Second-year QB Geno Smith appeared to have a pass/run option while rolling right. He saw open space and sprinted in for an apparent touchdown. But there was a flag on the play and a close look reveals a holding call on RG
4. Snacks & Harris Signal Red Light: The philosophy on the defense is if they are not in until they are in. Dennis Thurman’s group loves the fight and they are going to be hard to run against — especially in the middle. Damon “Snacks” Harrison got the push on this occasion and got his big paws on Chris Ivory down below. Meanwhile, Harris got Ivory up high and a tackle was made short of the goal line.
5. Pass Interference: Another no-play resulted when Smith’s pass in the right corner intended for TE
6. Richardson Stopped Inches Short: After the starters exited,
7. Vick Throwaway: On a designed throw, Vick had no chance. After he took the snap, DE Jason Babin was in his face and the veteran signal caller had nothing. He threw the rock out of the end zone and yours truly became the Goat of the Day when I dropped a perfectly thrown spiral. Always catch with your hands. Embarrasing.
8. Bellore & Edds Combo: After TE
9. Edds Once More: Edds, a fourth-year player from Iowa, was a standout Thursday. On 4th and goal, Edds leaped up and halted Richardson’s progress.
10. Miles & George Finish:
Finally: Following team, Geno made a heck of a play. He looked off the DBs for a second with his eyes moving to the left and then came back right for a long completion to
READ: Offense, Defense Collide on the Goal Line
READ: Day 6: Six-Pack of Good & Bad
READ: 4 Jets Bullet Points from Pat Kirwan & Jim Miller
WATCH: Vick: 'Time to Buckle Down'
WATCH: Smith: 'I See the Growth in Myself'