• Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EST Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Nov. 28, 2014 3:30 PM EST Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey, Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and Defensive Coordinator Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Tommy Bohanon's Job: Little Bit of Everything

Posted Aug 1, 2014

Fullback's Looking Forward to Throwing His Weight Around at Green & White Practice

Fullbacks are being used less by teams in what has become a pass-happy league, but Tommy Bohanon isn’t focused on that. As far as he concerned, he still has a job to do.

“I think my favorite part is helping the running back get his yards and open up holes and be able to do a little bit of everything on offense,” Bohanon said after the Jets' training camp practice today. “Run the ball, catch the ball as well as be the lead blocker and do everything I need to do to help our backs succeed.”

This year, his second in the league, he’ll be charged with blocking for RBs Chris Ivory, Chris Johnson and Bilal Powell, each with his own running style. Their differences, however, aren’t a big deal for Bohanon, who takes the same approach with all of the backs.

“That’s something we talk about a lot, being able to block for the different types of backs we have,” he said. “I think that it’s just our understanding of whoever is back there that I’ll tell them how I’m going to come about it and just let them work off of me.”

And they should work off him. Bohanon has quietly been one of the biggest hitters in sealing off incoming defenders for the offense at SUNY Cortland. He’s also adept on special teams, serving as a blocker on kick returns. His smashmouth, powerful style is something he loves about his position.

“It’s definitely something I pride myself on. I work in the weightroom all the time,” Bohanon said. “I’m trying to work on my strength and being able to get down, get low and come out of my stance and things like that.”

Although great at opening up holes for his backs, where he’s able to knock linebackers out of their lanes with hard, punishing blocks, he has the ability to become a weapon in the offensive game.

Bohanon joined the Jets last year after being selected in the seventh round of the draft. While at Wake Forest, he provided reliable hands out of the backfield with 51 career receptions, seven of which went for touchdowns.

During his rookie campaign, Bohanon recorded eight first downs on his 28 touches. He appeared in all 16 games en route to earning the Bill Hampton Award that goes to the rookie who conducts himself like a professional in the locker room.

There will be improvement in his play this year, he said, because of his knowledge of the responsibilities of everyone on the offense, instead of just his own.

“I think the biggest difference is the overall understanding of the playbook, knowing the ins and outs of everything about the playbook instead of just learning about my position,” he said. “So now I know what everybody’s doing and that kind of helps me know where I need to be exactly at every point in the play.”

When he’s not working out or practicing, Bohanon said he’s doing one of two things because of the physical nature of his position.

“I do a lot of recovery, honestly. I’m usually in the training room or in the ice tubs,” he said. “I like to watch movies a lot. I go in my room and just put on a movie and kind of just relax and get away from football for a few hours.”

Bohanon will definitely want to get some rest before the Green & White practice Saturday at 7 p.m., one of the first opportunities for full-contact team drills.

“It’s definitely something that we look forward to,” he said. “It’s finally being able to go out and go live and play real football for the first time. That’s something that we definitely look forward to putting on for the fans every year. It’s a great practice.”

READ: Goal Line: 10 Plays in Review
READ: Day 6: Six-Pack of Good & Bad
READ: Offense, Defense Collide on the Goal Line
WATCH: Vick: 'Time to Buckle Down'
WATCH: Kerley Finds Back of End Zone For TD