• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.

Phillip Adams, Leon McFadden Ready to Roll

Posted Sep 3, 2014

Jets' New CBs Learning D's Terminology Before Oakland — a Team Adams Knows Well

After some roster tinkering, the two new cornerbacks on the Jets roster had their first practice in Green & White on Tuesday.

Phillip Adams wore No. 24 and Leon McFadden was in No. 22. Both veterans will look to make impacts against rookie QB Derrick Carr and the Raiders on Sunday — something Adams said he’s looking forward to.

“We kind of got a little thing going on. He came at me last week and I’m looking forward to the matchup,” he said of last week’s preseason finale against the Raiders, when he was a Seahawk. “That’s definitely something I’m looking forward to. I pretty much know a lot of the things they're doing, and the coaches are doing a good job of game-planning.”

Adams, who was playing against Carr, gave up a 36-yard touchdown to Denarius Moore in that game. His knowledge of the Raiders, however, extends before last week.

He played for two seasons in silver and black and had his best year as a pro in 2012 in a Raiders uniform. In 15 games he had 10 tackles, two interceptions and three additional pass defenses.

“I’m familiar with the guys. A lot of the guys I was with are still there,” he said. “I know who they are as players. I know their tendencies. It’s good for me. A lot of things that they might run or that I see, I might feel it because I’ve been a witness to it.”

Adams and McFadden have three more days to understand their defense's new language.

“I’m coming in to really learn everything I need to learn,” he said. “Hopefully I won’t go out there not knowing any of the terminology. My goal is to know everything I need to know.”

That could be tough, getting up to speed in a Rex Ryan defense in about a week, but Adams is confident that he and McFadden will have learned everything they can by Sunday.

“It’s going to be hard, but I’m going to try. I’m definitely going to try,” he said. “Who knows? If I slip up on some calls, as far as the terminology, hopefully we can fix that. It’s a process for the terminology so I’m going to keep learning everything I need to.”

CB Darrin Walls, the presumed starter opposite Antonio Allen should Dee Milliner not be able to play, said that although it will be difficult for the newcomers, he’s confident the two will be able make an immediate impact.

“We’ve done it before here. It’ll be hard, but it can be done,” Walls said. “I think our new corners can play and play right away. So that’s why they're here.”

How difficult? LB Jason Babin, entering his 10th season in the league, said during training camp that the terminology was the toughest part of understanding the playbook.

For McFadden, a second-year player, it would have taken longer if not for the fact that he spent training camp with Browns head coach Mike Pettine, the former Jets defensive coordinator.

McFadden was selected in the third round of last year’s draft and had 19 tackles in his rookie year. He played his college ball at San Diego State University, where he recorded 39 pass defenses and eight interceptions.

Whoever is out there at cornerback, Milliner today said he has complete faith in the Jets secondary and all its members.

“The guys will step up, do what they’re supposed to do, and they know they’re here for a reason,” he said. “They’re good players, great players. They’re going to step up and I think they’re going to do a good job in the game.”

READ: Rex and the Jets Are All In for White Out