• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.

Kyle Wilson: Current Competitor, Future Coach

Posted Jul 27, 2014

Jets' 5th-Year CB Knows Every Position in Secondary, Rex Says He 'Can Run the Meetings'

Kyle Wilson said today that if asked, he is prepared to play safety for the Jets. For Wilson the possibility of a position change from cornerback is part of playing on the secondary.

“It’s just a part of the defense. We have the options to switch things up," he said. "So knowing the defense, knowing the job and your responsibility and the techniques, I've got all of that. I’ve done it before, just probably nobody has known. I can do it. Whatever they need me to do I’m willing to do it to the best of my ability and I’ve done it before so it’s all good.”

Wilson’s comprehensive understanding of various positions on the field boosts Rex Ryan’s confidence in the defense’s ability to grasp his system.

“The mental part of the game, the communication, it's pretty impressive," Ryan said of all of his defenders in the system. Then turning to Wilson, he said, “I’m sitting back there, Kyle Wilson's in the classroom, and he’s giving a dissertation. He can run the meetings. He knows every position.”

Wilson said he's "tried to pay attention" since he arrived as the 2010 first-round draft pick out of Boise State.

“I’ve obviously retained as much information as I can well enough to know how to teach it," he said. "So that’s one thing playing the position that I do. I have to rely on my teammates and play to the strengths of the defense. I have to be able to communicate with everybody, and in turn I kind of just learned it all, pretty much.

"I try to think like a coach because that’s what I want to do when I’m done playing. I want to be a high school football coach. I just try to learn every day.”

Entering his fifth season with the Jets, Wilson has assumed a leadership role.

READ: 7 Jets Who Are Flying Under the Radar
READ: It's Time and Colon's Ready to Roll

WATCH: Are People Sleeping on Jets WRs?
WATCH: Mic'd Up: Rex Ryan
WATCH: Amaro Has Injury Scare

“I’m a veteran, I’ve been here a few years. I know we’ve got some young guys and I’ve been playing with a bunch of them," he said. "It’s crucial for me, crucial for the secondary and for the defense to all be on the same page and making sure we see the same things, building the trust factor so we can all make some plays.”

Wilson feels the entire secondary should have an understanding of what’s happening with each player on every play.

"You know I can’t just go out there and do something by myself. I need guys to protect me as well as when they see something, I've got to protect them. It’s crucial that we are all on the same page.”

Kyle looked fast and focused at practice today and said he feels good about his matchups in camp so far.

“We are in a lot of one-on-one situations, so however we get it done — they don’t catch the ball, we have to make the play, or we have to make sure they can’t make the play," he said. "I pride myself on making the play all the time. I’m just a competitor.”

Wilson was matched up against WR David Nelson today in 11-on-11 drills. An excellent-looking throw by Geno Smith and grab by the 6’5” Nelson, met with oohs and aahs from the stands but ultimately ended in high-fives from fellow defensive players as Nelson was ruled out-of-bounds by the official. Wilson’s burst of speed and defensive positioning on Nelson as he reached for the ball had Wilson playing like the veteran he is.