• Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences every Monday and Wednesday from the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Jets Open Mic is a 30-minute telecast throughout the NFL season.
  • Mon., Oct. 20, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Clyde Gates Swinging Back onto the Scene

Posted Aug 2, 2014

WR Having a Speedy, Sure-Handed Camp, Can't Wait Till Tonight's Green & White

Clyde Gates is part of a pack of wide receivers fighting for a spot on the Jets’ roster. And offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg says the fourth-year player is doing his best to separate from the pack.

“Another man that has looked really impressive is Clyde Gates, really a high-level athlete. His challenge, much like Stephen [Hill]'s, is staying healthy,” Mornhinweg said Thursday. "Once again we are really deep at the receiver position.”

Gates, who wore No. 19 in 2013, played in six games last year before his season was ended by a shoulder injury and placed on IR.

“That’s my biggest thing, staying healthy,” said this year's No. 10. “I’ve been healthy, therefore everything is going pretty good."

Although Gates feels like his shoulder injury is completely behind him, the road to recovery was more serious than he anticipated.

“I couldn’t do anything for a long time, but I just kept rehabbing and rehabbing every day. Eventually it got back to where I could move around and lift weights. And whenever I was about to lift weights, when I was able to benchpress, I was like, OK, I'm all right. It was a long process, though, and painful. But now I feel great.”

Gates looks great, too. Last week, QB Michael Vick hit up Clyde for a 50-yard touchdown pass in a 7-on-7 drill for one of Vick’s most impressive connections at camp. On Friday, he again displayed his athleticism, making an impressive grab in the end zone from Geno Smith.

Not only is Gates optimistic for the upcoming season, he’s hopeful for all things football in his life.

“I’m looking forward to everything. I want to have a great preseason, I want to have a great day of practice every day. I want to do everything right. That’s where my mind is,” Gates said. “I can’t wait for Green & White practice tomorrow. I mean, we’re not going to go out there and try to kill each other, because we are all teammates. It’s a chance to get out there and just let it all out.”

Gates has a tremendous amount of respect for his teammates and rolls with a tightknit group here at camp, sharing a dorm room with his cousin, Daryl Richardson. He also considers wide receiver Jeremy Kerley to be family.

“That’s my little brother. Been that way for a long time, way before I came to the Jets,” said Gates. “He went to Texas Christian University and I went to Abilene Christian University about two hours away. That’s my little, young brother.”

Kerley, who also looked good in practice, seemed upbeat and even showed off some of his dance moves Friday. But Jeremy shouldn’t take all the credit for his TD dance.

“I taught him that, I really did. Ask him. You know I can do it a little bit, but he has natural leverage because he’s shorter than me,” Gates joked. “I let him have that one.”

Gates has no problem sharing the dance moves and the excitement on the field for his fellow wide receivers, partaking in a celebration of his own following Jacoby Ford’s long touchdown reception in the morning. He also has no trouble showing a little praise for fellow teammates while he’s fighting for a position on the team. Although fast as lighting, he said he can’t take credit for being the quickest guy out there.

But if Gates isn’t the fastest Jet in the fleet, then who is?

“Saalim [Hakim]," Gates said without hesitation. “I don’t even think he knows how fast he is because he gets on top of defenders so easily. That man is really fast.”

And although Gates doesn’t have any TD dances planned for the upcoming season, he probably should. He’s confident in his abilities on the field. “Don’t worry," he said. "It’s coming.”

READ: Goal Line: 10 Plays in Review